At Central High School there are many clubs and organizations to join for people interested in many different activities and topics. If you are interested in any health science based careers then HOSA is for you.
“HOSA stands for Health Occupations Students of America and the purpose of the organization is to promote the healthcare careers available to students after graduating. The purpose of our chapter at Central is to learn more about the healthcare careers in our community while also giving back through community service,” said Christopher Hammond, CHS’s HOSA sponsor.
Mr. Hammond initially decided to be the sponsor for HOSA at CHS because in his words, “Being involved in the community is really important to me, so that is what motivated me the most when I formed our school’s HOSA chapter. I like encouraging young people to be involved in their communities and give back.”
As a part of HOSA, people will participate in different types of community service such as the Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund Walk and Operation Christmas Child. They also compete against other HOSA groups in East Tennessee at the Upper East Tennessee Regional Competition each year at Carson-Newman University. At these competitions, members would participate and compete in events like medical photography, CPR/First Aid skills, etc.
Some of the goals of HOSA are:
- Promoting physical, mental and social well-being.
- Developing effective leadership qualities and skills.
- Developing the ability to communicate more effectively with people.
- Developing character.
- To make realistic career choices and seek successful employment in the healthcare field.
- Developing an understanding of current healthcare issues, environmental concerns, and survival needs of the community, the nation and the world.
- To encourage involvement in local, state and national health care and education projects.
- To support Health Science Education instructional objectives.
- To promote career opportunities in health care. (Source: CHS Website)
To join, talk to Mr. Hammond. He can be found in room NV01.